Thursday, December 27, 2007

Upcoming New Year

With only a few days left before we approach the year 2008, everyone out there is busy making some sort of preparations to usher it. Well at least most people are doing it. Whether it's cleaning the house, buying new stuff, doing a bit of organizing and so on. Which kinda makes you wonder - what's with all the hype about the new year? As we progress over time, does that naturally make us a better person?

Honestly, I don't think so. People don't just change or turn over a new leave just as time progresses. People change because they want to and not to mention having the determination to do so. Which brings me to the point of today's post - what is so fascinating/magical/exciting about the new year?

I must confess, I'm never the sort of jolly person to be out there at New Year's Eve, celebrating it with others. Nor am I the sort of person counting down every seconds to it. Somehow, I feel all this are under a false pretense - rather superficial actually. We would like to think that, we have a fresh start in everything. We would hope for better returnings and luck in the upcoming new year. But realistically speaking, how many of this are actually true? Again, I'm a strong believer in the concept D.I.Y. Do it yourself, if you were to wish for something. May it be success, prosperity, health and so on.

Don't get me wrong though. I enjoy the New Year celebrations. You know with all the special offers going on in the malls right now and also not forgetting that the 1st of January is a public holiday - what is there not to like about the New Year? It's just that somehow, I managed to loose that enthusiasms of mines over the years. It seems that the time where I used to eagerly await the arrival of New Year, is of a distant memory. One which I can only recall and perhaps if I'm lucky enough, I get to relive those moments one of this days.

Nevertheless, don't let that dampen your jolly, holiday-ing mood, will you?

Don't let a cynic like me get into your way!


----





On an unrelated note, I recently managed to finish the 60 episode long TVB drama; The Drive of Life. The tagline of it goes something like this;

Years of Upheaval

Lingering Love and Hate

A story about the integrated Chinese family of Glamour and Decadence


I have to say, being finally able to finish that does give me a certain sense of accomplishment. No doubt a ridiculous one. The first thing that attracted me to watch that was the grand cast they had in store. In one drama itself, it has so many characters and big names in it. Those who intend on watching it, embraced yourself for one heck of a drama of twist and betrayal. Though the ending was kinda a let down - TVB dramas' tend to have a penchant for happy endings, overall the Drive of Life is pretty interesting. Interesting enough to keep you going for 60 episodes that is.

3 comments:

Maalini said...

The one thing I would love to do for New Year is, just once, watch the fireworks display at KLCC. =( But like you said, most of the celebrations are superficial. XD I guess we like to think that we're making a fresh new start each year, but that never happens most of the time, ne? XD But I do enjoy making resolutions. =P Since I'm a procrastinator, they usually end up as March-resolutions or something. XD

*Pokes.* 60-episode drama? o.O Amazing. The most episodes I've watched should be around 20+.

Anonymous said...

ok i admit, it was smtg like soul searching... 60 episoedes? u sure got a lot of time in ur hands!

Kar-Men said...

I guess those fireworks at KL should be kinda fun. No doubt, much better than the ones over here. We live in a sad, little sleepy hallow after all. =(

Perhaps I will give that New Year resolution thingy a try. Never actually attempted one before. =P (at least not on paper/html codes aka weblog)

And yea, I have to admit 60 episodes are kinda tedious at time, yet somehow kinda addictive at the same time. Not to mention pointless accomplishment. XD

ps- Ben, I have the same amount of time with everyone out there too la! Just so happen, my bro brought back those DVD from Penang. The next time, I'm gonna try Naruto instead! XD Wonder how long would that take me? And bravo to you mon ami! (for taking one step closer to your raison detre!) Or could it be that, I just think too much?