Monday, December 17, 2007

Of Legends and Chipmunks

If you are the kind of person to read the title of an article first – then congrats, you and I are of the same category. Though, I highly doubt that, having that in common is even something to talk about in the first place. Anyway, I wish I could entice you with tales of wonderful legends of centuries old and perhaps even about the conspiracies of those chipmunks. But sadly, today's post isn't about legends or even chipmunks - well at least not 100% about them.Went to Queensbay today and watched two movies in a row. Yay! More movie marathons! After all what's the best way to let your brain rot and also experience a rapid drop in one's IQ at the same time other then watching lots of tv? No? Well do excuse me, the last time I checked, tv was (and still is) bad. Spoils the brain and also jeopardize one's health. At least, that's what everyone is propagating ever since MTV was introduced.

Oh well for those who are interested, this little fire hydrant over here managed to get a slice of Alvin & the Chipmunks and I am Legend over there.



The movie I am Legend is a film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel with the very same title. It features Will Smith and the tagline of this film is "The last man on earth is not alone". What is there not to like about I am Legend? Well, to be precise there are a lot of things in the film that doesn't live up to all the hype that it's being getting out there. To be precise the character Robert Neville played by Will Smith is far from being the last man on Earth. Let alone the last man standing out there.

Set at the year of 2012, a female scientist managed to discover a cure for cancer by genetically re-encoding virus to help mankind instead. Ain't it wonderful? Well, like every good thing out there - there is always a catch to it. In this case, that very genetically enhance virus turn mankind into zombie like creature that preys on anything out there with flesh and bones. Hmm. Where have we heard that before, I wonder? Well my very own personal opinion after watching this is that, the movie would fare much better if they throw in more suspense rather then laying out all the cards from the very start.

On the other hand, we have Alvin and the Chipmunks. To begin with, I'm never much of a fan of the whole chipmunk's series. It just seems to clinched. However, after watching the film. I might have a different opinion of it. Not the cliches though. The movie is filled with it. Alvin and the Chipmunks is starred by Jason Lee. For those who might confused him with some other random guy that you happen to know, this Jason Lee also stars in the comedy series My Name is Earl. (another hilarious comedy worth watching by the way)

I know some (if not most) people out there might dismiss this movie as a "kiddy movie". I won't argue with you on that one. As far as I'm concerned this movie has absolutely no plot, character development or whatsoever. But I'm afraid you are straying away from the main attraction if you are expecting a half decent movie out of Alvin and the Chipmunks. People flock the cinema just to see the kawaii-ness of those three little singing rascals. And I'm glad to say that they have accomplished just that.

The return trip to home however wasn't that pleasant. From the very moment, my bro and I step foot into the jetty, the place was crowded with people waiting for the ferry to arrive. I suppose everyone was heading back to their home as well. But rushing back to your house, ain't a very good reason to start pushing and kicking people in the shins. Unless of course, your wife is about to deliver your child or maybe your house is on fire or of some sort of emergency - that my friend would be a good excuse to start pushing and getting all agitated.

But knowing that we live in Bolehland, where everything is possible I guess it's only normal for people to be so pushy, uncivilized, and impatient.

From the Butterworth jetty, my bro and I took a bus ride heading back to SP. We barely made it, as the bus was nearly full by the time we step down from the ferry terminal. Nevertheless, lady luck must be on our side as both of us managed to get our respective seats. As the bus was about to leave, several people down the road managed to halt the bus and stubbornly board it despite knowing that the bus was fully occupied. I suppose the desire to go back home is strong. Well I can honestly relate to that, since that's something I would normally do everyday after school.

So naturally, those people were forced to stand. So there was this middle aged women, standing right beside my seat. She had a son, daughter and an acquittance with her at that time. At first it would seem rude that I didn't stood up immediately and graciously gave away my seat to that poor, helpless lady. But instead of doing the right thing, I simply shunned my conscious away and sat there staring at the view from the window.

Sounds immoral of me do so right? Not even willing to give my seat away to someone who is much older than me. Well, I will let you in out a little discovery of mines. You see, the very moment the particular lady step in with her merry group of entourage, I couldn't help but observing them. And the first thing I noticed was that, the son managed to find himself a seat right behind mines. Do you know what that boy did next? He sat on it. That's only natural of him, you might suppose. But he has a mother right beside him at that time for god sake!

Instead of giving away his seat to his mother, he sat on it! So there I was thinking, if your own son wouldn't let you sit and you not making any fuss about it. Therefore, I come up with the conclusion that the seat isn't a very important thing to you. At least not at that particular time and place.

So with that, I managed to throw away 10 years worth of moral ed and not to mention a life-time of civic conscious. All with a simple conclusion. Not to mention, shunning away my guilt at the mean time.

After all, don't we all live in Bolehland?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chipmunks....kawaii? i'll leave it there. guess my 3 series friend is heading towards getting the M badge with the seat issue.

Kar-Men said...

Hey, you should actually try watching those chipmunks for yourself! Damn kawaii!! I can even send you a couple of their songs just to prove it! =)

And about the seat - it's no longer and issue la. Just goes to show another reason why we all live in Bolehland.