Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Of Bananas and Hiatus

So sorry ladies and gentlemen of the blogging community for my recent demise from the World Wild Web a.k.a the www.com. My internet has been wtf-ing through out the whole week. I can't even access the god damn for saken Internet for days! Do not know why my parents even bother paying Streamyx for this kind of crappy service. But then again, the phrase beggars can't be chooser comes to place right?

Anyway, with all the mopping aside, its time to get to the gist of today's blog!

'Of Bananas and Hiatus'

Bananas is defined as a group of Chinese people who ARE NOT Chinese-educated and uses a fair amount of English on a daily basis.The term 'bananas' is meant as
yellow from the outside (Chinese), but white in the inside (pro-Western culture).

This entry is actually inspired by an article which I read not too long ago in The Star newspaper entitled One race, two sets of views by Joceline Tan. According to her, the Chinese race itself can be further break down to two major groups of people. From there the first group can branched out to three more components. Sound confusing? Fret not for there is a pie chart below to illustrate her point.


What really inspired me to write this post is because at one point of my life, I grew up with all these 'bananas' crap or nonsensical classing about whether I am Chinese-educated child or my inability to read and write Chinese etc. I have to admit, at some point I used to care about all those nonsensical crap. But after for a while, you have to admit;it get so tiring and at one point you will grew immune to it.

But the article above do make some sense after all. Even if it's more of a political kind of opinion on the Chinese race by the author, you have to admit, it got some degree of accuracy on the reality of the situation. All the stuff mentioned above actually happens in the real world with all those fanatics and their mindless rational.What intrigues me is that, after all those bold claims made by our leaders (and us occasionally) on all of us being one as a nation and so on, does it mean that all these are just a bunch of baseless assumptions? Even within a SINGLE race itself can be so much categorizing and class. Just imagine living in a multi-racial background with so many other aspects at hand. it really worries me at times.

But at the end it doesn't really bug me anymore. All these nonsensical classing and so on. If being a banana is really who I am, then it's fine with me. I suppose being a banana have it's perks too. (other then being a rich source of potassium)

-----

Another random online personality test. This time however, it measures your psychological types and your intelligence. Here's the link if anyone is interested in taking it.


Click to view my Personality Profile page


-----

And finally, this will be my first and last post for this month. After this I will be on a hiatus. There are several reasons actually. But the primary reason would be the approaching final year examination. Have to study, study and more study. Besides, I don't think I will have much to blog about anyway.

So yeah, I hereby declare that this blog is on a HIATUS untill further notice.

Any messages can be left in my chat box on the right hand corner of this blog.

0 comments: