Thursday, December 16, 2010

Of Time and Friends

I am seized by a sudden panic attack. Looking at the calendar tells me that I have about 2 more weeks to go before Term 2 commences. At this point, I am not sure I can accomplish half of the things I set out prior to my holidays. In a moment of weakness, I had these grand visions on how I will spend my holiday when I was asked what I will do during the term break. I was confident that  I will be meeting up with my old friends, doing some traveling, bonding with my family, sharpening my culinary skills and heck even get a head start in my upcoming Statistical Theory for next semester by going through the syllabus. At one point I even told myself I will be matter loading as much as possible in preparation for next year's debating season.

Boy was I naive.

Currently catching up with old friends seem to be the hardest to accomplish in my list to do. I have only met a handful of them. Trailing behind seems like a never ending list of old contacts whom I wish to be reacquainted once more but reality seems to be conspiring against it. Perhaps I am not trying hard enough, but coming to a sudden realization that one's friends no longer live within a mile radius from you (or heck even in the same time zone as one) and not being able to meet up with them as frequent as intended, is not a pleasant feeling at all. In addition to the tinge of guilt felt, I can't help but feeling resigned over the fact that, as time flies, everyone has to carry on with their own separate lives. With it the distance, unfamiliarity and awkwardness also follows. Arriving at such conclusion I can only count on nostalgia and Facebook to play their parts in order to offset the waning of such relationships.

Meanwhile, time for me to spend my remaining hours of my holiday more fruitfully. Hopefully.

0 comments: