Saturday, December 26, 2009

Faint Echos

The picture on the left was taken at 2004. It was my primary school's price giving ceremony. In it, we are the alumni of SK Ibrahim; the graduating batch of 2003. The women in red, was our 6 Maju class teacher, Pn. Khew Kim Sooi. Amongst the many familiar faces in the picture, I am starting to forget. I can no longer recall some of the names of my ex-classmates. My primary schooling years which were mostly spent with these dear people are now but a faint echo from a distance. My hippocampus has betrayed me. All I have left to fall back to, is a measly collection of disparate photographs.

If this could happen to my primary schooling years, will it happen to other parts of my life too? My secondary years? My collegehood? Will they all inevitably turn into faint echos - barely audible to the living soul?

At current time, I may have blogs, Facebook, digital photographs, journal etc. to keep track of the years I have undergone. Yet I can't seem to shake off the feeling I have lost a small part of myself along with the passing of time. Though the gains may be more obvious, the loss isn't something negligible either.

Which is why, I don't think I will ever be ready for the new year. I was never quite ready in the past to usher the new year with all the gains and loss that it brought with it. But it came anyway.

So will 2010.

PS- Didn't I told you I smile like a retard? And that the camera hates me? Now you believe me? =P

3 comments:

Maalini said...

This post brings back memories of my own; like yours, most are faint echoes. :| It's rather scary to think of it all going missing. You should check out the poem "At The Bay" by James K Baxter. I think it captures the mood. :P

And P/S: I told you last night and I'll say it again, that hardly qualifies and I still beat you. :)

Kar-Men said...

Yikes! Took me awhile to get back to you here, but I managed to check out the poem the other day. It ended with such a depressing note. =(

Maalini said...

I'm glad you managed to find it! =) I agree with you though, but it's still one of my favourites, just because it says what I've always felt so well.